Food Sourcing Officer
Closing Date: 05/06/2023
Location: Mallusk (requires frequent travel in NI)
Contract Type: Permanent
FareShare NI is a Homeless Connect project and part of the FareShare UK network of charitable food distributors. We are the largest local food redistribution organisation in Northern Ireland. Last year we distributed over 700 tonnes of food to over 160 charities and community organisations. This role is part funded through the Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs.
To be responsible for developing our regional and local food sourcing by engaging with the food industry and its supply chain in Northern Ireland to develop and manage existing and new business relationships with companies to generate value and secure growing and sustainable volumes of surplus food.
The role involves working closely with the Operations Manager and the FareShare UK Food Team to strengthen our capability to source and handle local food. The post holder will manage existing food partners and spend time researching and contacting potential new local food suppliers in the region, making new contacts and following up leads. The role will work closely with the FareShare UK team ensuring consistency of approach and delivery of national initiatives where appropriate. Through this role we aim to increase our capacity to engage with small to medium sized businesses (SMEs), complementing the work of the FareShare UK Food Team on larger, national accounts.
The role may also be required to support the work of the FareShare UK Food Supply Coordination team and also any food purchasing initiatives in Northern Ireland should the need arise.
1.0 Food industry engagement
• Act as main point of contact for a portfolio of existing food partners, including companies in logistics and the wider supply chain.
• Build relationships with key personnel to help drive successful engagement with relevant organisations.
• To prepare for meetings with potential food partners and be competent in effectively presenting the benefits to potential partners of working with FareShare.
• Work closely with the FareShare UK Food Coordination Team to ensure any issues regarding food offers are promptly and satisfactorily resolved.
• Capture feedback from our food partners about the FareShare service and its impact.
• Where required, conduct review meetings with food partners and identify new opportunities to increase food volumes.
• Ensure follow-up on account opportunities that are of interest to the fundraising and marketing team.
• Support efficient use of any local logistics solutions to support food sourcing and distribution in Northern Ireland.
2.0 Team and project support
• Work with the FareShare NI Development Manager to provide regular food partner activity reports, case studies, acknowledgements, and recognition of food industry partners on social media.
• Contribute to the development of communications resources, appropriate and bespoke to the local market.
• Liaise regularly with FareShare UK Food Coordination Team members and initiatives as required.
• Feedback to FareShare NI Operations Manager and FareShare UK Coordination Team to improve existing processes and operations linked to the provision of food to the network.
3.0 General requirements
• Adhere to all compliance and confidentiality policies, ensuring all legislative, requirements are met.
• Carryout duties in line with Homeless Connect policy on equality and diversity.
• Contribute to a positive, supportive, and effective team working environment.
• Undertake any other relevant duties as identified by the FareShare NI Operations Manager.
The duties of the post will be subject to review in accordance with the needs of the organisation.
• Experience of working within the food supply industry or within a logistics supply chain setting.
• Proven ability to build cross functional relationships with a customer service focus.
• Knowledge of and interest in Corporate Social Responsibility and experience of its application within the business environment.
• Results driven self-starter with ability to work under pressure with proven organisational skills.
• Team player and problem solver with ability to back up decisions using data and analysis.
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to change tone for different stakeholders.
• Good computing skills including a good working knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
• A full current driving licence and access to a form of transport that will enable the postholder to meet the travel requirements of the Job
• A proven ability to form good working relationships, with a positive and collaborative attitude to help achieve broader objectives.
• Able to present FareShare with pride and act as an ambassador.
• Proactive with suggesting process improvements.
Applications are available on request from email@example.com.
Food Sourcing Officer Job Description
The closing date for submission of applications role is Monday 5 June at 12 noon.